CATL seeks applications/nominations for Associate Director
The Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning is seeking nominations and applications for Associate Director of CATL. The new Associate Director must be a full-time faculty member at Elon, and will serve a 4-year term beginning next academic year.
Katie King has served ably in this rotating faculty position for the past several years, and she will be returning to the Psychology Department at the end of this academic year. The entire Elon community is deeply appreciative for the creative and helpful leadership and guidance that Katie provided. Thank you Katie!
After consulting with Mat Gendle and Academic Council, I am pleased to report that Dr. Harlen Makemson will chair the search and that the following individuals have agreed to serve on the search committee:
• Harlen Makemson, Chair (Associate Professor, Communications)
• Stephen Bloch-Schulman (Associate Professor, Philosophy)
• Ayesha Delpish (Associate Professor and Chair, Mathematics and Statistics)
• Paula DiBiasio (Assistant Professor, Physical Therapy Education)
• Heidi Hollingsworth (Assistant Professor of Education)
• Mary Gowan (Professor, Management)
• Linda Niedziela (Associate Professor, Biology)
• Anne Simpkins (Associate Professor, Art)
• Bud Warner (Associate Professor, Human Service Studies/Civic Engagement)
We invite both nominations and applications. Nominations should be sent to Peter Felten (email@example.com) who will contact all nominees promptly to encourage a formal application.
Applications must be received by Peter Felten (email, please) by Monday, February 4, 2013. There is no expectation that applicants will be nominated before applying.
A detailed position description is below.
Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning
The Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning seeks an Associate Director.
The mission of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning is to promote engaging, inclusive, and effective teaching, and the scholarship of teaching and learning, at Elon University. The Associate Director will work with the Center’s staff and Faculty Advisory Committee to nurture a strong and committed faculty dedicated to excellent teaching and scholarly accomplishment. The Associate Director will begin a four-year term with the start of the 2013-14 academic year. The Associate Director will remain on a faculty contract and will be expected to teach three courses per year. Summer obligations will be compensated by stipend. The Associate Director reports to the Center’s Director.
Position Description: The Associate Director will have responsibilities related to the following, some of which are shared with the Director, the other Associate Director, (an existing position currently held by Mary Jo Festle), the program assistant, and the Center’s Faculty Advisory Committee:
• Consult with individual faculty members in support of their efforts to be inclusive, effective, and innovative teacher-scholars;
• Work in partnership with departments, programs, and schools/colleges on pedagogical and curricular initiatives related to engaged, inclusive teaching and learning;
• Coordinate existing and help create new programs, activities, and resources consistent with the mission of the Center;
• Support scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning at Elon.
• An existing full-time faculty appointment at Elon University
• A record of effective and intentional teaching
• Demonstrated ability to work collegially with faculty, staff, and students from across the University
• Interest in the wide range of approaches to scholarly work related to teaching and learning
• Strong organizational and administrative skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• A faculty appointment at the rank of associate professor, professor, or senior lecturer
• Experience with the Center’s programs and services
• Administrative or program leadership experience
• A record of professional activity related to the scholarship of teaching and learning
Applicants must submit to Peter Felten (electronically) by February 4, 2013:
1) A letter of application which addresses the applicant’s qualifications for and interest in the position,
2) A current curriculum vitae with complete contact information for three references,
3) Evidence of effective and intentional teaching (and, if appropriate, curricular development); applicants may provide diverse forms of evidence, but please limit this portion of the application to 2-5 pages.
The search committee will review applications and interview finalists.
We anticipate naming the Associate Director before spring break.
To learn more about the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning, please visit the Center’s web site at http://www.elon.edu/teaching.
Applicants who have questions about CATL or this position should contact Peter Felten (firstname.lastname@example.org or x6609), or Katie King (email@example.com, x6449, or Mary Jo Festle (firstname.lastname@example.org, x6423).
Questions about the search process should be directed to Harlen Makemson, chair of the search committee (email@example.com or x5777).