Elon Sustainability's February Theme: Reduce your Use and Recycle
Elon Sustainability’s February theme is Reduce your use and Recycle. This month we encourage you to make the effort to reduce, reuse and recycle on a daily basis.
Also, please take some time to read up on Elon’s recycling initiatives: http://www.elon.edu/e-web/bft/sustainability/ci-recycling.xhtml
February Reduce your Use and Recycle Tips:
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle - in that order. Using less should come first but do remember to recycle everything you can.
- Aluminum cans. It takes 95% less energy to make a can out of recycled aluminum and produces 95% less greenhouse gases.?
- Plastics. Recycled plastic can be made into a number of products, which reduces the need for virgin materials.?
- Paper products. Every ton of paper recycled saves 17 trees.?
- Glass. Recycling glass reduces waste, saves energy, and conserves natural resources.
- Electronics. Electronic recycling reduces the amount of hazardous materials that may enter our environment.
- Use a refillable water bottle rather than buying bottled water. You will save money and prevent plastic waste.
- The following can be recycled on campus: paper (all kinds), newspaper, magazines, cardboard, plastic (#1, #2, #5), glass (clear, brown, green, and blue), cans (aluminum and steel/tin), batteries and small electronics.
On-campus Recycling Locations:
- Cardboard: The Colonnades Dining Hall, Harden Dining Hall, McEwen Dining Hall, Moseley Center, and the Physical Plant (McDonald Building).
- Household batteries: Belk Library – main stairwell, McEwen Communications – Room 105, Danieley Center – Daniel Common, and Moseley Center – outside the Phoenix Card Office.
- Printer cartridges: Colonnades A Trash/Recycling Room, Danieley Center – Daniel Commons, East Area Office, Greek Life Office, Moseley Center – outside the Phoenix Card Office, North Area Computer Lab, Oaks Area Office, West Area Office.
- Small electronics: Belk Library - main stairwell, McEwen Communications - Room 105 and the Office of Sustainability - Alamance 111
Events in February:
- February 7: Recyclemania College Coffee
- February 5 – March 31: Recyclemania
- February 21: POWERless College Coffee
- February 21 – March 13: POWERless Spring Energy Competition