E-Net News

Withdrawal Instructions for Students Leaving After Spring Term

Withdrawal Instructions for Students Leaving After Spring Term

Students are reminded that if they withdraw from the university at this point in the spring 2013 term, they will receive a “W” if they are passing the course on the date of the withdrawal or an “F” if they are not passing the course on the date of the withdrawal. Withdrawing does not “save” a student if the student does not successfully complete courses or take final exams.  

The last day for processing medical leaves/withdrawals this term is Friday, May 10, 2013. Students MUST consult with our office prior to that date if they plan to apply for a Medical Leave of Absence/Withdrawal for the Fall Term. We must have all documentation from their medical provider by Thursday May 9 to authorize grades of “WD”.  Any requests  for a medical withdrawal received after that date will be treated as a request for a retroactive withdrawal and regular end of course grading policies will apply. Grades earned will stand until the request can be reviewed by the Retroactive Withdrawal Committee.

Please also note that the office of Student Development cannot authorize withdrawals from a single class (even medical withdrawals).

Students should officially withdraw from Elon prior to matriculation at their next institution or if they plan to take some time off. If a student plans to leave at the end of the semester (after exams), below is some information about the end of semester withdrawal process.

Students planning to withdraw from the university at the end of the 2013 Spring Term should plan to complete a brief application beginning May 15, 2013. Students will pick up a copy of the withdrawal application in the Office of Student Development (Moseley 206) and get applicable office signatures. Students are also given the option for an exit interview with a Student Life staff member when they return their application. Withdrawal interviews are conducted on a walk-in basis (no appointments).

  • All end of semester withdrawals will be processed after final course grades are posted. End of semester suspensions supersede withdrawals.
  • Students who plan to transfer to another institution and need a final transcript sent to another college should make arrangements with the Registrar's Office (Alamance 104 or on the web-site).Cost is $ 5.00 per transcript.
  • If a student has a Deans Certification Form from their prospective institution, they should sign the release of information statement (usually directly on the form) and take the form to the Office of  Student Conduct (Moseley 211). They will verify campus conduct standing and forward the form directly to the institution.
  • Students who receive any type of financial aid (scholarships, grants or loans) MUST consult with the Office of Financial Planning prior to leaving the University.
  • Students should also check with the Bursar to make sure any outstanding charges (Health Services, parking fines, library/media fines, etc.) are paid prior to withdrawing.
  • Student athletes must be cleared with the Department of Athletics, especially if they plan to participate in intercollegiate sports at a later time.
  • Students who are withdrawing and who live in campus owned or operated housing are responsible for notifying Residence Life (Moseley 213) of their plans to withdraw.

If students decide to with draw after they leave campus in May, they can complete the withdrawal process by e-mailing Janice Ratliff at ratliff@elon.edu. They should provide their name, complete local and home addresses, Datatel number, and a brief statement about why they are withdrawing.

Questions may be directed to Janice Ratliff at (336) 278-7200

Jana Lynn Patterson,
5/2/2013 7:40 PM