The new Maker Hub – Downtown gives Elon makers access to advanced prototyping and fabrication tools not available elsewhere on campus.
Any Elon student, faculty or staff can use the Maker Hub – Downtown during open hours (hours listed in the sidebar).
- Review the FAQ page for answers to common questions.
- Review the Maker Hub policies page for rules.
- The Maker Hub – Downtown can also be reserved for orientations for classes, departments, and student groups. Read more about Maker Hub Orientations.
Tools are available for advanced prototypes and fabrication, including:
- 3D printing with eight Ultimaker 3D printers and one FormLabs 2 SLA 3D printer
- CNC routers for precise cuts and engraving of wood, acrylic and circuit boards
- Laser cutters for precise engraving or cutting of cardboard, paper, leather, wood, and acrylic with the laser cutter/engraver
- Microcomputers, microcontrollers, soldering irons, and various electrical components to create electronics projects
- Saws for cutting wood and other materials
- Power tools and hand tools like an electric drill, impact driver, clamps, hammer, wrenches, pliers, and more
- A sewing machine to repair textile projects and small vinyl cutter to create custom decals
The Maker Hub – Downtown stocks a small selection of plywood (Baltic Birch in various sizes), acrylic, and foam core.
If you’d like to work with other materials, please talk with a Maker Hub student staff person to see if it’s compatible with our equipment. If you’d like other types of lumber, you can purchase hardwood, softwood, and plywood at the Hardwood Store of North Carolina in Gibsonville (a short 5-minute drive from campus).